Re: [newbie] Cannot login as root (not a passwd issue)

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 10:40:50PM +0200, Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm new to debian (knoppix 3.8.1 on HDD) and to linux in general.
> I installed it on HD without troubles (well, only after I realized that
> my dev/hda1 was mounted from startup becasue I have too little RAM and a
> swapfile was being automatically created, so I had to boot at runlevel 3
> to skip KDE)

Hi Fernando,
be aware that some folks may not want to give advice for Knoppix users.
It is nothing against you because there are some support issue between
Knoppix and Debian that may lead you to problems. But WELCOME anyway :-)
As you notes: knoppix has runlevel 3 to skip KDE, Debian DOES NOT.

> So far everything works like a charm, except for one thing, the system
> is configured to disallow root login...

I think you are not being clear. CONSOLE login allow root login but
gnome/kde/xdm logins do not by default for SECURITY reasons.  Thus for
proper security login with xdm/kdm/gdm as normal users and 'su' or 'sudo'
from an xterm do to 'root' things.

> I know that suing is inherently more secure but for some tasks I rather
> login straight as root.
> I modified the file apt.d/login (or something like that), commenting out
> the entry whose remark said it prevented root logins, but no luck.

I'd undo that change, as you found out, it is not the cause of the
problem.

> Also, I'm sure I got to "sudo" on a couple of occasions, but now I get
> an error that I'm not on the suders list (or so)...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> P.S: The bootlog indicates a number of varying failures which may or
> maynot be important.. the system seems to work well AFAICT but I haven't
> yet tried, say, printing, etc... should I post to log here to let you
> folks analyze it, or should I just ingore it until I can make any sense
> out of it?

as you noted: we can not help if you do not provide adequet detail. If a
file is really big -- put the file online and use a URL in your post.

> P.S.: To what debian does knoopix 3.8.1 installed on hd corresponds to?
Knoppix is ususlly a mix of testing and unstable. Most sane folks stick
to one or the other. Ask if you want advice on this. A mixed system is
very tricky to maintain.

Cheers,
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!