Re: Sid and KDE 3.4

On Friday 10 June 2005 07:21 pm, Rob Bochan wrote:
> I've been running Sid with KDE 3.4 from the alioth.debian.org repository
> for several weeks now. Can anyone tell me what will/should happen once KDE
> 3.4 makes its way into Sid? Will I have to uninstall and then reinstall the
> proper KDE packages from the proper Debian repository or will it stay the
> same and just run the normal update/upgrade cycle? I'm also curious as to
> how the change to Xorg will be. I've never made the transition between
> _major_ packages like XFree86 and Xorg before, so I have no idea what to
> expect.
>
> --
>
> ...Rob
> Return address is obfuscated.
> You can reach me via robslaptop (at) gmail dot com

I don't know about the X.org transition (it will probably be a magical
journey, since there will be a complete switch to the new modular, autotooled
X.org, as I understand it), but the KDE transition should be basically
seamless. The versions that go into unstable will probably have a revision
bump and they will install over the Alioth packages just like a normal
upgrade.

Of course, with all of the activity going into Etch/Unstable right now, its
hard to tell exactly what any of the major transitions will bring. There may
be a huge mess due to some of the low level gcc/g++ changes, I don't know.
Perhaps a developer knows more?
--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber