Re: [newbie] Cannot login as root (not a passwd issue)

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 10:40:50PM +0200, Fernando Cacciola wrote:

Hi people,

I'm new to debian (knoppix 3.8.1 on HDD) and to linux in general.
I installed it on HD without troubles (well, only after I realized that
my dev/hda1 was mounted from startup becasue I have too little RAM and a
swapfile was being automatically created, so I had to boot at runlevel 3
to skip KDE)
So far everything works like a charm, except for one thing, the system
is configured to disallow root login...
I know that suing is inherently more secure but for some tasks I rather
login straight as root.
I modified the file apt.d/login (or something like that), commenting out
the entry whose remark said it prevented root logins, but no luck.
Also, I'm sure I got to "sudo" on a couple of occasions, but now I get
an error that I'm not on the suders list (or so)...

To add yourself to the sudoers file, become root either at the console
ir in a terminal window, and execute visudo.  Edit the file, adding
yourself.  It is well commented and you should be able to follow the
examples pretty easily.

OK, txs.

Now, repeat after me:  "Logging in as root is a *bad* idea."
Repeat that a sufficient number of times that you believe it.  There is
not one single task that *requires* you to login as root, with the
exception of single user mode.  Everything you need can be accessed via
su, sux and sudo.

OK. I'll record it as my wake up call :-) I typically snooze it about 5 times before I actually get up ;)

Thanks

Fernando Cacciola