Re: [newbie] Cannot login as root (not a passwd issue)

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 10:40:50PM +0200, Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm new to debian (knoppix 3.8.1 on HDD) and to linux in general.
> I installed it on HD without troubles (well, only after I realized that
> my dev/hda1 was mounted from startup becasue I have too little RAM and a
> swapfile was being automatically created, so I had to boot at runlevel 3
> to skip KDE)
> So far everything works like a charm, except for one thing, the system
> is configured to disallow root login...
> I know that suing is inherently more secure but for some tasks I rather
> login straight as root.
> I modified the file apt.d/login (or something like that), commenting out
> the entry whose remark said it prevented root logins, but no luck.
> Also, I'm sure I got to "sudo" on a couple of occasions, but now I get
> an error that I'm not on the suders list (or so)...

To add yourself to the sudoers file, become root either at the console
ir in a terminal window, and execute visudo.  Edit the file, adding
yourself.  It is well commented and you should be able to follow the
examples pretty easily.

Now, repeat after me:  "Logging in as root is a *bad* idea."
Repeat that a sufficient number of times that you believe it.  There is
not one single task that *requires* you to login as root, with the
exception of single user mode.  Everything you need can be accessed via
su, sux and sudo.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez