Draft FAQ [was Re: Gateway newsgroup problem (redux - long)]

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:54:34PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 10, Anthony Rowe <ay986@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > and how it is meant to be used, specific to this list and which
> > propagates to linux.debian.user only, may be a good idea?
> Maybe. Do you want to write one?

Yup.

> Send it to me, formatted as an email/usenet article.

ok.

Let's see about the content first.  Any comments corrections or
suggetions before I send this along to Marco d'Ítri as a separate
email/usenet article are most welcome.

------------------ Draft linux.debian.user gateway FAQ ----------------

* I have posted a question to this newsgroup but no one is responding.
Why?

You are reading (and trying to post to) a 'mail-to-news gateway'
"newsgroup" of the debian-user mailing-list. You need to register with a
real gateway service for linux.* hierarchies if you want to post to the
mailing-list via linux.debian.user.

* I have never registered in order to post to a newsgroup before.  Why
this one?

While mail-to-news gateways appear to be normal newsgroups, they are
actually mailing-lists which have been "gated" to Usenet.  Gateway
newsgroups are intended to be bidirectional, but _only_ if you use a
real gateway service correctly, so that your post goes to the list
first.  It will then be gated back to the newsgroup automatically.

* Seems a little complicated.  Is there another way I can post?

Sure.  The easiest thing to do is post to the list directly by email.
You can post to the mailing-list without being subscribed.  Send your
message to

debian-user@lists.debian.org

If you do this, you should probably subscribe to the list for at least
the life of your thread in case you want to post a follow-up.  A simple
subscription form is located here

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user

* I don't want to subscribe to a mailing-list, I want to use Usenet.
How can I post to the debian-user mailing list through the
linux.debian.user gateway?

If you would rather post to the list via linux.debian.user with your
newsreader, you may have to use a different NNTP server than the one you
(or your ISP) are using.

_All bidirectional news gateways will require that you use a valid email
address and that you complete a one-time authorisation procedure per
group._

If you read from the bofh.it gateway you can register by filling out the
form at

You can use google groups.  Go here and click on "join"

http://groups-beta.google.com

Many people have reported success by using gmane, a web-based,
bidirectional mail to news gateway.  Details can be found here

http://gmane.org

I hope this helps get you on the right track.  Still having problems?
Please direct your questions to the mailing list at
debian-user@lists.debian.org and monitor this newsgroup for replies.

----------------- End draft linux.debian.user FAQ --------------------

Tony Rowe

> --