Gateway newsgroup problem (redux - long)

Hello,

Sorry for such a long post at such a busy time.  I think this issue is
important but my timing is bad.  It just worked out that way I'm afraid.

For the last week I have been monitoring the linux.debian.user gateway
for apparently well intended posts which never make it to the list.  I
have been replying to them privately with a short personal preamble
followed by a work-in-progress and too lengthy pre-canned message
(included below).

Today I found a mis-posted message with the From: header so thoroughly
munged that I can't reply to it (I think the munging is in German but
whatever language it is, I can't separate out Patrick's real address
confidently).  Patrick's message is also included below.

In all cases the mis-postings I have screened for are original posts,
not replies.  They are asking for help and appear to be legitimate.  One
such message *per day* going astray is unacceptable I think.

I notice in the following forwarded message: munged From: field, no
X-Original-Message-ID:, no X-Original-Date:, no debian-user Unsubscribe
footer.  All of these are signs that the message has been posted somehow
to Usenet but not gated to the list.

Worth mentioning is that last September or so, when this issue was last
given a good flogging here, Marco d'Ítri said that cases of mis-posted
messages to the gateway service he maintains are all but eliminated.  I
concur.  None of the recent mis-postings I have observed have anything
to do with bofh.it (or gmane, or google groups).  I infer that the
Usenet backbone carries the linux.* hierarchies and it is up to ISP's or
users to sort out how to register with bidirectional services for them.

Questions, comments, ideas?

Tony Rowe

---------------- begin forwarded mis-posted message ------------------