Re: lilo message

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:03:13AM -0400, Steve Å wrote:
I'm a little confused. How does one determine what partition their /boot is on ?
Here is my directory structure in /boot (It looks to me that my  boot is root ?);

You're confusing the filesystem directory /boot, where the kernel
image and the boot loader configuration are, and the lilo line
"boot=", which tells lilo, where the boot sector should be written.

/boot does not have to be on the same partition as the root partition
"/".

       (Relevant Lilo.conf line);
       boot=/dev/hda

This tells lilo, where the boot information (lilo menu, which kernel
and where is it, ...) should be written.
Nomally this is correct, because hda is the first place, the BIOS
looks for boot information, if you're booting from harddrive.

       # Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
       #
       root=/dev/hdc1

This tells lilo, which partition is the root partition "/". This
option needs the kernel, because it doesn't know it (there is no
fstab, if the kernel does not know, where to look).

 append="hdx=ide-scsi"   # change the x to yours
My present LILO.conf doesn't have the append line, like your example. Is it

No, the append line contains information lilo passes to the kernel
(like the root= information). In this case, it tells the kernel (or
the ide-scsi module in the kernel, to treat hdx as SCSI device, which
I think is necessary if you use IDE burner with older cdrecord
versions.

If you don't need it, don't use the append line.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@gmx.de |