Re: Pre-Port Usability Question

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:17:58AM -0600, Dave Babb wrote:
> Good Morning,
>

> My current distribution of choice is Arch Linux. Arch is too techie for my
> daughter, who wants to admin her own system.
>
> I used jigdo to download all 14 CD images for "Sarge".

That was not necessary.  Only the first disk was necessary, or even the
netinst image.

> I backed up her /home/* directory to CD and began the install last night. I'm
> puzzled.

If /home was already on a separate partition, this was also unnecssary.
If it was not on a separate partition, it should be.

> Default Kernel still in the 2.4 series?
If you press F2 or F3 (I forget which) at the boot prompt, it will show
you how to get a 2.6 kernel.  It is that way because 2.4 is consistently
better across all the architectures that Debian supports (not
necessarily true for i386, but true when you consider how well the
kernel supports all of the architectures).

> An old Gnome?
2.8 has only been out for what, 6 months?  It's really not that old.
Besides, one criterion for a package to make it into the stabe release
is that it must be syncrhonized across all architectures.   That means
that it must install and run on all the architectures Debian officially
supports.

> An old KDE?
Same as above.

Porting huge packages so that they work on 13 different architectures
and variants is not easy.

> In fact, most of the packages are behind the times, some by a little, some by a
> lot.

I don't think that is true.  *Some* packages are behind, but then not
every Debian package maintainer has tons of free time to spend
repackaging new upstream releases, especially if the new releases are
relatively minor.

> I didn't expect this in a release hot off of the presses.
>
> The package system on the Debian website still shows KDE 3.3.2 as the version
> of choice. I didn't see an option to upgrade to a newer version either in
> testing, unstable, or stable.

Because the packaging of KDE 3.4 is still in the experimental phase.
You can get the experimental packages from Alioth.  Search the rest of
today's list traffic, as the link has already been posted.

> I have NO INTENTION of flame-baiting, or other immature behavior. I do have
> genuine puzzlement as to why the old stuff instead of fresh stuff.
>

> Would the Debian community please respond or elighten me?

Also, please understand that the objective behind a stable Debian
release is to provide a constant environment on which a system
administrator can rely to ensure that the machine's behavior does not
change without his knowledge.  Compare that to Fedora or other Linux
distros.  When a security update comes out as part of a new upstream
release, they don't bother to backport it.  They simply tell their users
to download the new version.  This can be a royal pain in a server
environment or in a case where you have deployed hundreds or thousands
of PCs.

If that is not to your liking, you can always use testing or unstable,
which are quite suitable for use in a workstation or desktop capacity
if you are only managing one or a small number of machines.  Be aware,
though, that currently testing and unstable are in quite a bit of flux
becuase of the new package transitions that are starting after the lift
of the freeze.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez