Re: Pre-Port Usability Question

On Friday 10 Jun 2005 16:17, Dave Babb wrote:
> I used jigdo to download all 14 CD images for "Sarge".

You didn't need to do that.  A single CD would be more than enough for a basic
install, after which apt will download any packages you ask it for.  Just
quicker.

> Default Kernel still in the 2.4 series?

You can choose to install with a different kernel, at the boot prompt.

> In fact, most of the packages are behind the times, some by a little,
> some by a lot.
>
> I didn't expect this in a release hot off of the presses.
>
> The package system on the Debian website still shows KDE 3.3.2 as the
> version of choice. I didn't see an option to upgrade to a newer version
> either in testing, unstable, or stable.

Yes, KDE has been slow.  Even Debian Sid (unstable) still only has KDE 3.3.
I'm not sure what the problem is, but yeah... not good.

> I have NO INTENTION of flame-baiting, or other immature behavior. I do
> have genuine puzzlement as to why the old stuff instead of fresh stuff.

Essentially, lots of testing and process.  Debian Stable is well-known for
being *very* stable and tested, almost in a military sense.  That's pretty
great for servers most of the time, but not so great for desktops.  I think
sid (and testing) could benefit from more frequent updates, though :(

--
Lee.

Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.