Re: Remote administration of a server

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:02:06PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Sadly, most people (myself included) have no passphrase on their SSH
>
> Hi.  Using PKI with no passphrase drops the level of security
> significantly (as I'm sure you know).
>
> > keys.  I also end up bouncing aroud a variety of machines (some Fedora
> > some Windows with PuTTY and some Windows with SSH.com).  So the key
> > thing is a pain in the but.  At least on the Linux machines it is
> > straightforward and I set those up when I can to use keys instead of
> > passwords.
>
> May I introduce you to ssh-agent and ssh-add.  They are a standard part of
> ssh and will operate between implementations (as long as no one has broken
> their implementation).
>
> This is the last line of my ~/.xsession file:
>
> ssh-agent bash -c "ssh-add < /dev/null && /usr/bin/fvwm2"
>
> After entering my passphrase as part of the login process[1] I can ssh to
> boxes all over the world without so much as entering my passphrase and I'm
> doing it securely.  Of course you need to keep your session secure if you
> are doing this (and I certainly do).
>
> [1] I can't login successful without the passphrase.

OK.  I am now reformed :-)  I discovered keychain (which handles both
ssh-agent and gpg-agent from both an X login and a remote login.  Very
nifty.  I also put passphrases on my keys.  I figured it was about time.
Though, I must admit that the clincher for me was the integration with
gpg-agent so I wouldn't need to keep typing my passphrase for that.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr