Re: Remote administration of a server

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:25:48PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Marty wrote:
>
> PKI makes things much more difficult.  An attacker would need both your
> private key and your passphrase to gain entry.  Brute forcing an ssh
> daemon that only accepts PKI access is an intractable problem.
>
> > keys secure (i.e. thumb drive? Floppy? Theft issues?)
>
> All of the hosts I have private keys for are under my control or my
> companies' control.  We have some clients that move around a lot and they
> do need keep their private keys on a usb drive.
>
> As with everything in security some risk is always involved.  A hosts
> administrator may be sniffing keystrokes to get your passphrase and they
> may be automatically nabbing any private keys they see - but in reality
> this is not likely.  If you think a machine is not safe don't ssh from it.

Sadly, most people (myself included) have no passphrase on their SSH
keys.  I also end up bouncing aroud a variety of machines (some Fedora
some Windows with PuTTY and some Windows with SSH.com).  So the key
thing is a pain in the but.  At least on the Linux machines it is
straightforward and I set those up when I can to use keys instead of
passwords.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez