Re: Eliminating upgrade confusion

David Jardine wrote:

The enormous confusion arising from the release of sarge seems to have arisen from the use of the words "stable" and "testing".
Somebody who was running stable didn't want woody to be replaced
by sarge without his being asked. Somebody running testing didn't want to move from sarge to etch automatically. (Sid seems to be the only stable one.)

Wouldn't things work more smoothly if "stable" and "testing" were not allowed in /etc/apt/sources.list or anywhere else except as purely informative descriptions?
I agree that for a newbie this can be quite confusing. I myself got confused with it in the beginning. But being a newbie is not an excuse to not read the FAQ and other documentation out there. There are tons of documentation out there.

The Debian release naming conventions are quite clearly explained in

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/

Please take a look at section 5.

Further, I tried to put some additional FAQs and their answers at
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

Nothing is easy in Linux in the beginning. But the learning pays off in the long run.

just my 2 cents
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi