Re: Eliminating upgrade confusion

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
>  On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:57:56AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
> > The enormous confusion arising from the release of sarge seems
> > to have arisen from the use of the words "stable" and "testing".
>
>  I am not a Debian developer. I am a user. But I know enough about
>  Debian to know that the stable,testing,unstable/woody,sarge,etch,sid
>  naming system serves the needs of the core Debian community very
>  well. People who say "but it's too difficult for newbies" miss the

I've been one of the strongest detractors from the "Debian's too
difficult for newbies" BS.  It's not.  It's different, that's all.
It's got its own way of doing things which you have to ramp up on
before you'll be comfortable using it.

Still, as the best, it should go out of its way to minimize the "shoot
the newbie in the foot" factor, as long as that doesn't break it for
those who know what they're doing.  It's a fine line, but not
impossible.  Debian's walked that line well in the past.

(*)           http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling   Linux Counter #80292
- -           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html