Re: Eliminating upgrade confusion

David Jardine wrote:
> The enormous confusion arising from the release of sarge seems
> to have arisen from the use of the words "stable" and "testing".

Not familiar with this enormous confusion.

> Somebody who was running stable didn't want woody to be replaced
> by sarge without his being asked.  Somebody running testing didn't
> want to move from sarge to etch automatically.  (Sid seems to be
> the only stable one.)

No, you are describing people who are running woody and sarge and should
have those in their sources.list.

> Wouldn't things work more smoothly if "stable" and "testing" were
> not allowed in /etc/apt/sources.list or anywhere else except as
> purely informative descriptions?

It would suck, because all my systems that constantly track testing
couldn't. The stable release is irellivant, I want these machines to
continue to track testing. Just for example.

--
see shy jo