Re: Eliminating upgrade confusion

David Jardine wrote:

Wouldn't things work more smoothly if "stable" and "testing" were not allowed in /etc/apt/sources.list or anywhere else except as purely informative descriptions?

I think you mean the debian version as indicated in /etc/apt/apt.conf.
(As somebody else already pointed out, sources.list just tells
apt/dpkg where to look for updates.  The Debian version in apt.conf
is what tells them which specific .deb packages to get.)

As to your point, I suppose anyone who is likely to be surprised by
new version releases and resulting automatic upgrades should have
version names, not "stable" or "testing" in apt.conf.  If this does
not described the state of default installations, then yes, you may
have a wishlist item to file.