Re: Clarify Sarge Release

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:08:20PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:27:55PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> > Yesterday on the chat rooms it was claimed that using aptitude was more
> > successful and effective than using apt-get dist-upgrade.  Apparently
> > aptitude is supposed to do the conflict resolution better than
> > dist-upgrade or apt-get.
> >
> > I have not personally any experience to confirm or deny this statement.
> >

> I strongly suspect that this is pure BS. I have never had a problem with
> conflict resolution with either flavors of dist-upgrade, namely
> apt-get dist-upgrade and
> aptitude dist-upgrage. Both work for me.
> Furthermore, the code for dist-upgrade is surely a modular chunk in both
> programs, written by people who talk to each other.

What makes you so sure of that?  AFAIK, Jason Gunthorpe, the main APT
developer, has not been very active for several years.

> If one chunk handled the problem better than the other chunk, the
> inferior would soon be replaced. Both code chunks and shameless copy
> are the open source way.

AIUI, the APT resolver code is very complicated and difficult to
understand, and aptitude contains a completely different resolver
written from scratch.  In any case, I doubt it's trivial to drop one
resolver into the other.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.