Re: apt-cacher

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:09:22PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Now that I'll be upgrading my lan's server to sarge, I plan also
> to install apt-cacher on it, so my other machines won't have to do
> as much long-haul net traffic.
>
> Can I start the woody->sarge upgrade by updating, first,
> aptitude and perl (that seems to be conventional wisdom)
> then installing sarge's apt-cacher, and then pointing
> the sources.list to apt-cacher running on the very machine
> that is being upgraded to sarge?
>
> In the future, when further updates take place, will apt-cacher
> know how to update itself while it's being used to download and
> cache its replacement?
>
> -- hendrik

There are two issues here, I think.

one: can you use apt-cacher to serve up debian packages to the very same
host as it is itself running on? Answer: Yes.

two: can you use apt-cacher to serve up a newer version of apt-cacher on
the machine that is running apt-cacher. Answer: never done it. apt-cacher
is pretty small and pretty stable, but it should work because during the
actual install of a package nothing is being downloaded. The sequence is
download and check package validity first, and then unpack the pachage
and do the actual install. There is no possibility of attempting to run
a program while it is being changed on hard disk.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net