Re: dpkg status (deinstall) question

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:22:53AM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Actually, on looking at dpkg -l, all 64 of these packages are marked as
> 'rc' (remove requested, config files still present).  Unfortunately,
> none of those appear be removed by apt-get dselect-upgrade.  That
> command wants to remove three OTHER packages, upgrade one package, and
> install 74 NEW packages, none of which I need, want, or have any
> connection with the one package (fetchmail) being upgraded. Many of them
> are KDE packages (I use only a very few kde packages and DO NOT run the
> DE).  Others are things like portmap (which I DO NOT want), bochs-doc (I
> purged bochs without using it), a bunch of libs and other things that I
> do not need.

Apparently dselect thinks that you *do* want this. If you disagree then
fire up dselect and fix things there.

> All in all, apt-get dselect-update does NOT seem to remove those
> packages, or do anything else that I want.  So is there some other way
> that will completely remove those packages (including thier config
> files) without installing a ton of stuff that I do not want, or need?

Well, what Chris Boot wrote earlier in this thread should work:

dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1 | xargs dpkg --purge

At least it worked for me.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill