Re: dpkg status (deinstall) question

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:25:08PM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Now that Sarge has gone stable and I have done an 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
> I am left with only a few packages held back.  These are all, I believe,
> due to the fact that I have put them on 'hold.'  I don't think that any
> of them are held back for other reasons.  I have more packages on hold
> than are held back, so I assume that the others are current, even though
> I have them on hold.
>
> Looking through the output of 'dpkg --get-selections', however,  see a
> lot of packages with a status of 'deinstall.'  Are these packages that
> should be uninstalled, but for some reason are being kept?  I have not
> noticed this status before, and am curious about it.

It means they are marked for deinstallation in the dselect database
(/var/lib/dpkg/status).  "apt-get dist-upgrade" doesn't pay attention to
that database; you'd need to use "apt-get dselect-upgrade" or just run
dselect for any of those to be noticed.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.