NSS and LDAP problem with /etc/hosts

Hello,

I have got a small network with a handful machines and I successfully
moved all global user accounts onto an LDAP server a few weeks ago and
made all workstations use it. This works great for Debian and other
systems.

Now I've put the /etc/hosts database onto LDAP as well, changed the
/etc/nsswitch.conf on a test client from

    hosts:  files dns

    hosts:  files ldap dns

This works great, too.  BUT, at the next reboot the machine hangs
infinitely as soon as init starts. The last line I see is "INIT:
version 2.86 booting". As soon as I change this single line back, the
system will boot well again. And when the system is running I can add
"ldap" to the name resolution and the machine will happily resolve
local names via ldap again.

The same system gets passwd and group databases via ldap, too, so ldap
generally works.  I've also put the system onto a network hub and
found out that it doesn't send a single byte out to the ldap server.

Does anybody have an idea?

Or at least an idea, how I could further debug this problem?

Kind regards, Jim