Re: Confused-New Stable Sarge Dist-Upgrade

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Leonard Chatagnier said:

tar: ./lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/modules.symbols: Cannot write: No space left on device

I chacked partition space with df and seem to have ample room as shown"
ChatagnierL-Home:~#  df
/dev/hda2               140000    114049     18722  86% /

Phil said:

Your / partition is where /lib lives, and you've only got ~18MB. I'd say
your modules directory should take up more than that. 30MB+. Prolly not
enough space.

Hey Phil, thanks, that explains it. Now how to get more space on /? I could resize partitions with cfdisk and probably mess things up. You have a more newbie(noobie) frendly way of doing this? Any thought or suggestions will be much appreciated. BTW, did you see any problem with the df output for tmpfs as I wasn't sure if it was saying 0% usage or 0% free space. Also, for my clarification and understanding, the sarge modules were already installed from previous testing upgrades, so, why couldn't it just be written over with the new stable sarge or is the new upgrade that much larger..??? Appreciate any info on this.
Thanks,
leonard

I find parted is not so hard -- after launching it, type 'help' and you get an overview of the available options;
Then, for example, 'help resize' will give you some information on resizing

The way is now simple: make a large partition smaller (maybe /var or /usr or /home) and make / bigger

'print' is helpfull to see the current state of the disc partitions

I think you should not have partitions mounted which are to be resized -- anyone know how to do the resizing of / ?

if resizing / really cannot be done, maybe create a new /lib partition instead

HTH,

Joris