Re: Re: knoppix HD-install problem

Thank you Robert for your interest and excuse my long delay in replying.

In fact my original post was a bit out of target; to try and focus on my actual problem I should point out that:

(i) I started with Knoppix and had no problems with the installation;

(ii) I downloaded Sid (Debian 3.1 unstable, did I get that part right?) but got an incomplete overall installation due to inexperience and soft modem problems;

(iii) I am at present trying to get my driver for the soft winmodem installed once again on Sid (it got lost somewhere in the process), so as to resume my downloads and possibly end up with the complete distro I was dreaming about.

So I downloaded (via Windoze) the slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz tarball, read the instructions and followed them; after configuring the PATH to the build directory I proceeded to the Make command. Got a whole bunch of errors, the first of which is:

"In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36, from modem_main.c49:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26 linux/errno.h: No such file or directory"

Investigation showed no /linux/ directory exists on my Debian 3.1. Further investigation led me to the following bug, reported by a Debian list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2004/11/msg00104.html

Could there be a connection between the bug and my compilation problems? If so, how could I work around the problem?

Thank you for any possible suggestion.

Regards,
Manuele