Re: knoppix HD-install problem

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 02:46, Manuele Bondì wrote:
> Thank you Robert for your interest and excuse my long delay in replying.

No problem, I will sometimes take time replying as well. I have a lot of email
to get through.

<snip>
> (ii) I downloaded Sid (Debian 3.1 unstable, did I get that part right?) but

Sid has no version number, as it is always Unstable.

> got an incomplete overall installation due to inexperience and soft modem
> problems;

Please stop using Sid, if you can. You should progress slowing from Stable,
through Testing, to Unstable according to your level of experience and
hardware requirements.

Sid is for people who can handle crashes and system instability.

> (iii) I am at present trying to get my driver for the soft winmodem
> installed once again on Sid (it got lost somewhere in the process), so as
> to resume my downloads and possibly end up with the complete distro I was
> dreaming about.

Do you have a CD burner or some kind of external mass storage device. If so,
please make frequent backups. When you try something new or are on a sharp
learning curve, mistakes are unavoidable. Backups will save you from hours of
grief.

I would also suggest that you download Debian using jigdo,
http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ , as this is a form of backup and ensures
that you are installing from a reliable source. You can stop downloading at
anytime, making this more convenient as well.

Alternatively you can get the new Debian GNU/Linux Bible published by Wiley. I
suspect it will come with a Debian CD or DVD. As soon as I have some money
again I will be buying this.

> So I downloaded (via Windoze) the slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz tarball, read the
> instructions and followed them; after configuring the PATH to the build
> directory I proceeded to the Make command. Got a whole bunch of errors, the
> first of which is:

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you with this problem. I never use softmodems, I
always use external serial hardware modems. I like the extra performance and
reliability of them.

<snip>

Hope this helps.
All the best.