Exim4 debugging - MX records point to non-existent hosts

While migrating an old woody machine to a new sarge machine (new
hardware etc) I decided to change over from sendmail to exim4.

The migration went _very_ smoothly - up to now I've not had a problem
- but we've recently noticed one issue.

Outgoing mail from the server (my home address) sent to my work
address bounces with the message:

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

  chris@work.domain
    all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

So - I ssh'd in to my mail server.

  host -t MX work.domain

returns

  work.domain mail is handled by 10 mail.work.domain.

Then

  telnet mail.work.domain smtp

returns

Trying <mail.work.domain IPADDR>...
Connected to mail.work.domain.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.work.domain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-7.1; Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:13:08 +0200; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from: my.mail.server(OK)-me@my.mail.server [<my.mail.server IPADDR>]

So - on the box where exim is running - the MX query returns the
correct host and that host is answering smtp.

Since I'm new to exim4 I've no idea how to start debugging this.

No other domains that I can see have this problem - at least nothing
in the /var/log/exim4 directory.

--
Chris Searle