Re: OT: USB mass storage on KNOPPIX 3.8.1

Nate Bargmann wrote:

Hi everyone.

Congrats on Sarge!  :-)

Unfortunately, I suffered a recent HD crash on my laptop where I had
Testing setup in one partition and used it to mount my USB mass storage
based Fuji FinePix A330 camera.  Today I was able to borrow a small (5
GB) hard drive and had access to a KNOPPIX 3.8.1 CD and did the HD
install.  I've never tried to do USB mass storage on KNOPPIX or the 2.6
series kernel before and I can't seem to get past "go".

The kernel is 2.6.11 and lsusb shows the camera on the bus.  Several
related modules are loaded by Hotplug including usb_storage, ub, and
sg.  However, trying the mount command with /dev/sda|sda1|sr0 and
variations all fail with "not a valid block device".

I know this stuff isn't that hard (isn't it about time some of this
stuff were more or less automatic in KDE?), but I'm having a heck of a
mental block right now and feel really lost.  I know there is a lot of
expertise here, so this is why I'm asking.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

I believe Knoppix changed primary filesystems a release or two back. Now I think what you want is under /dev/ub[a-z] instead of /dev/sd[a-z].

I'm willing to be corrected since I didn't spend a lot of time with it last time I checked it.