Re: sources.list testing problem

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:47:22AM -0300, Marcelo Melo wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm having a weird problem when I edit my sources.list. I recently upgraded
> from woody to sarge, and to do so I commented the entire file and left only
> one line:
>
> deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
>
> Everything worked fine, but when I tried to replace "sarge" for "testing" on
> the sources.list file, I get the following error when running aptitude or
> apt-*:
>
> W: Couldn't start source package list http://ftp.br.debian.org testing/main
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.br.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386/
> Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>
> I get this errors for all 3 sections, main, non-free and contrib. I've loged
> in ftp.br.debian.org and checked that the testing directory does exist, and
> is no more than a link to sarge, so I really don't know why I'm having this
> problem, since the "stable" that I used before (with woody) worked.

Did you update *after* editing sources.list?  If apt or aptitude detect
the modification time of sources.list is *later* than the last time the
package database was updated, then it will cause problems.  Anytime you
modify sources.list, you want to immediately do an apt-get update or
aptitude update.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez