Re: running one thin client?

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Cameron Matheson wrote:

> So my computer is kind of loud which is drawing some complaints from
> other people in my room at night... anyway, i'm thinking about moving
> the compute downstairs and using my laptop as a thin client (i really

Excellent idea.  I've run laptops as thin clients.

> hate turning my computer off and losing uptime... garg).  anyway, the
> laptop is a 365Mhz Pentium 2... it runs ok, but it's way slower than
> my P.C.--i'd really rather just use it as a dumb client (when it's
> hooked up to the network, and as a real computer when it's not).  I
> checked out the Linux Terminal Server Project, but that looks like too
> much for this one-client setup.  So what's the best way going about
> this... just using gdm acroos the network to log in (btw, how is the

I've found xdm and kdm to be easier to setup than gdm for this purpose.
YMMV.  Read up on xdmcp.

> performance for across the network X?)... nothing i do is too intense,

Excellent.  You're unlikely to notice a difference.  It may even seem
faster.

> except watch the occasional movie w/ mplayer.  any advice would be
> greatly appreciated.

We've got a bit of info here that may be useful:

http://www.opentrend.net/thinclients.shtml

This is not technical info on setting one up, more like bandwidth used,
questions answered, etc.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.