Re: Compag Proliant 370

Brent Clark wrote:

Hi list

I just have become in possession of an old Compag Proliant 370 (still
need to figure out what im going to do with it -maybe a nice mailserver).

The machine obviously came with Winblows 2000 Server on and I have now
just installed debian.

The problem I am having is, when windows was installed the machine would
slow the fans down etc
but now that I have debian installed (kernel 2.6.11) the fan are just
blowing continuously (sound like an aeroplane getting ready to take off
- LOL)

I thought it was a acpi issue, but I cant seem to get this right.

If anyone has and tips / solution etc it would be great fully
appreciated

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Brent,
Compaq Proliant servers fans are generally controlled by the Compaq Management Agents in the older servers (G1 and G2 ranges). These are part of the "Proliant Support Pack". Available from http://www.compaq.com/support/files

Unfortunately, unless it's changed since I left Compaq/HP they only provide the appropriate software for Redhat and Suse. Looking at their website this still appears to be the case. I don't know if anybody has had success at installing these packages on Debian.

Regards,
Daniel