Re: getmail4 and python2.3

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:32:24PM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote......

> I've been using getmail4 for some time with no problems.  My python
> version is 2.3.
>
> Today I upgraded the kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.11.  Since then I've
> been getting the following error message whenever I execute getmail:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.3/optparse.py:668: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of
> negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
>   return ("<%s at 0x%x: %r>"
>
> I find it hard to imagine that the kernel upgrade has anything to do
> with this error.
>
> But anyway, has anyone seen this before?
>
> I checked the getmail site, and in their FAQ they mention this
> error, but simply say it's a bug in Python2.3.  Yet just this
> morning this was working for me, so I don't think Python2.3 has a
> bug.

I fixed this, although my solution won't survive an apt-get upgrade
to getmail4.

I simply went into /usr/bin/getmail and /usr/bin/getmail_maildir and
change the first line:

<   #!/usr/bin/python
>   #!/usr/bin/python -W ignore

Not elegant and not the right solution, but the getmail4 website
considers this a python2.3 bug, and the folks at comp.lang.python
simply suggested upgrading to python2.4.  So my simple hack will
suffice for now.

Kevin