Re: Software Raid Partition'd?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:04:30AM -0700, michael@etalon.net wrote:
> I'm configuring a new Sarge box with Sofware Raid 5 using
> 4 Hard disks.
> I'm wondering what is the best way to partition the array?
> For example:
>
> Is it best to just create 1 Raid 5 mounted on /
> or
> Create several Raid 5 arrays and split them into
> /
> /home
> /var
> /usr

You might want to add a separate filesystem for /tmp.

> Note: Will use a Raid 0 mounted on /boot
>
> This server will be used with about 200 workstations serving file, web and
> email.
> I guess I'm basically asking if it makes a performance boost to parition
> the drives up, or just have one mega drive mounted on /

In addition to your Raid 0 for /boot, you should only create one Raid 5
array and use LVM to allocate space out of it to your filesystems.
This way, you can conveniently resize the filesystems if necessary.
Having / on LVM also works, although in this case you should prepare a
rescue CD with LVM support (Kanotix would do the job).

I would recommend against putting everything in / - this might be OK on
a machine with a small disk, such as an old notebook, but not on a
server, where a fsck would take ages on such a monster filesystem.

With several Raid 5 arrays, you would need a complete backup/restore
cycle to resize any filesystem.

regards,
Mirko