Re: Software Raid Partition'd?

michael@etalon.net writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm configuring a new Sarge box with Sofware Raid 5 using
> 4 Hard disks.
> I'm wondering what is the best way to partition the array?

[snip]

> This server will be used with about 200 workstations serving file, web and
> email.
> I guess I'm basically asking if it makes a performance boost to parition
> the drives up, or just have one mega drive mounted on /

If you want performance, don't use software RAID-5!  Look into HW RAID
controllers and/or use stripe + mirrors. Or if you have to use SW RAID-5,
try to add more disks to it (to have e.g. 7 or 8).

Check http://www.baarf.com/ for "Battle Agaist Any Raid Five" initiative
and their argumentation.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer