Need Help: apt not regisytering any upgradable packages

I have been dealing with this issue for some time. I have a sid installation &
apt quit showing any packages that were available for upgrade about 2 months
ago. I was using, for several years, kdepackage manager as my gui for
handeling all package management functions. When I decided to try synaptic &
aptitude, kdepackage quit showing the upgrades available. However synaptic
seemed to work OK. Today I upgraded apt-cacher, apt-build, & apt-file from
synaptic. After these were upgraded synaptic quit showing any upgradeable
packages, kde-package is not showing any & dselect is just nuts, it's showing
every thing installed is obsolete or local with no upgrades available either.
The fact is that every package on my systems seems to be working just fine
and all systems, & hardware are OK.
So anybody with ANY idea PLEASE respond.
--
John Foster