Software configuration question

I'm fairly new to debian as I come from a FreeBSD background and have a software question. How do you specify options for building your software with apt-get?
When building software, I'm use to: ./configure <options>, make, make install. (Like if I want to configure apache with certain options)
Now, with apt-get, it just goes and does it with no intervention.
I tried apt-get source but I don't understand what to do as the source,it looks different than what I'm use to.
Thanks for any help.