Re: Can't burn CDs at a reasonable speed (cdrecord, 2.6.11 kernel).

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:48:59PM +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> I'm running a Debian testing system with the "2.6.11-1-686 #1" kernel and
> packages cdrecord 2.01+01a01-2 and mkisofs 2.01+01a01-2.
>
> The machine is "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz" with 1GB RAM and a new
> CD/DVD-burner (IDE on /dev/hda; the hard drive is SATA and appears
> as /dev/sda), so I think I ought to be able to burn faster than 16X.
>
> $ mkisofs -r -J -o foo.iso foodir
> $ cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=ATA:0,0,0 foo.iso
>
> If I specify a higher speed, cdrecord fails and I get a coaster.  I would
> appreciate any suggestions for improving this.

I have encoutnered something similar.  I don't always get coasters, but
if I specify speed=24 the machine is almost completely not responsive
for the whole operation, the buffer min fill always very low or 0, and
the average burn speed ends up being about 16x.  If I specify 16x, the
machine is still fairly responsive, I never get a coaster, and the
average burn speed is still 16x.

I also wonder if anyone might know what is going on.  The only
difference between your machine and mine is that I have an AMD 2500+
CPU and am running kernel 2.6.8.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez