Re: Software configuration question

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:28:23PM -0400, Jason Lieurance wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm fairly new to debian as I come from a FreeBSD background and have a
> software question. How do you specify options for building your software
> with apt-get?
>
> Example:
>
> When building software, I'm use to: ./configure <options>, make, make
> install. (Like if I want to configure apache with certain options)
>
> Now, with apt-get, it just goes and does it with no intervention.
>
> I tried apt-get source but I don't understand what to do as the source,it
> looks different than what I'm use to.
>
> Thanks for any help.

What you really want is pbuilder or sbuild.  I have used both and
recently switched to pbuilder.  The documentation for both is actually
pretty good.  I used sbuild (now pbuilder) to build the packages that I
maintain a couple which I customize/backport.  Here is what you need:

1. Install fakeroot, sudo, pbuilder and devscripts.
2. Copy /etc/pbuilderrc into ~/.pbuilderrc and customize to taste.
3. Assuming you are running Sarge, you will want to set it up to create
a sarge chroot for you.  There comments in pbuilderrc that explain.
Also be sure and read pbuilderrc(5).
4. 'apt-get source' on the package you would like to customize and
change into the resulting directory.
5. do 'debchange --nmu' and add a short changelog entry saying something
like "personal customization".  You can also modify the end of the
version number at the top of the change log.  If I am backporting or
customizing a package, I usually choose to do a 'dechange --nmu' and
then place the package(s) on hold.  That ensures that I always see when
new versions make it into the archive.
6. Edit the files in the debian/ directory that you need, most likely
just the rules file, to achieve the customizations you would like.
7. After you add your customizations, execute: pdebuild --buildsourceroot
fakeroot --pbuilderroot sudo --buildresult /usr/local/src/results
You can change the buildresult directory to somewhere else, if you like.

After that you will have a built package with a new version number that
is customized how you like.

Here are the options from my ~/.pbuilderrc:

BASETGZ=/var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz
BUILDPLACE=/var/cache/pbuilder/build/
MIRRORSITE=http://http.us.debian.org/debian
USEPROC=yes
USEDEVPTS=yes
USEDEVFS=no
BUILDRESULT=/var/cache/pbuilder/result/
DISTRIBUTION=sarge
APTCACHE="/var/cache/pbuilder/aptcache/
APTCACHEHARDLINK="yes"
REMOVEPACKAGES="lilo"
HOOKDIR=""
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive"
DEBEMAIL=""
BUILDSOURCEROOTCMD="fakeroot"
PBUILDERROOTCMD="sudo"
DEBBUILDOPTS=""
APTCONFDIR=""
BUILDUSERID=1234
BINDMOUNTS=""
DEBOOTSTRAPOPTS[0]='--variant=buildd'

Let me know if this helps or if you need any more information.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr