Re: lilo to grub conversion

Incoming from Graham Smith:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
> >On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:36 +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
> >>
> >>I am running a testing machine that is currently using lilo for it's
> >>boot loader. I would like to switch this to grub but I am a little
> >>confused about how to go ahead and do this.
> >
> >There are some pretty easy to follow directions to be found
> >in /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz
>
> Ok I have read the instructions but I am a little confused / concerned
> about the section on initrd images larger that 4MB (4194304 bytes).
> Almost all the stock initrd images are larger than 4MB
> (initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386 is 4317184 bytes and is the one I want to use)
> but the menu.lst files on my other machines (which all use grub already)
> don't have a ramdisk_size=16384 option anywhere. Where would I put this
> option anyway as the documentation is a little vague - I presume it
> should be after kopt eg:
>
> kopt=ramdisk_size=16384

I don't use it but mine has a comment:

   # kopt_2_6_0=ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/hda9 ro acpi=yes

> I have /boot as a separate partition on this machine so I have the
> directory structure
>
> /boot/boot/grub

My boot is separate too.  /boot/grub works.

> which looks odd but seems to be right according to the instructions. Is
> this structure needed because grub looks directly at the partition that
> has /boot on it (/dev/hda1 in my case) and expects to see the /boot/grub
> directory hierarchy?

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.xx.xxxxxxxx
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.4.xx.xxxxxxxx root=/dev/hda9 ro hdc=scsi vga=1 acpi=yes
savedefault

Note (hd0,1) corresponds to my /dev/hda2 (/boot) ptn.  grub doesn't
know about /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xx.xxxxxxxx at boot time;
/vmlinuz... tells it to look in /dev/hda2 for /vmlinuz...

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -