Re: lilo to grub conversion

Alex Malinovich wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:36 +0100, Graham Smith wrote:

Hi all,

I am running a testing machine that is currently using lilo for it's boot loader. I would like to switch this to grub but I am a little confused about how to go ahead and do this.

I have installed the grub package but it doesn't seem to have set itself up as other packages do. There is not /boot/grub folder for instance and it didn't tell me it was writing itself to the boot block. This leads me to believe that if I reboot I will still be using lilo - I am a little scared about rebooting to find though :o)

Can someone give me a couple of pointers about what to do next. I have grabbed the grub-doc and while it's great there's so much of it that's also half the problem.

There are some pretty easy to follow directions to be found
in /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz

You'll need to run a few commands as root, double-check your menu.lst,
and you'll be all set to go. It's actually a lot easier than most people
expect.

Ok I have read the instructions but I am a little confused / concerned about the section on initrd images larger that 4MB (4194304 bytes). Almost all the stock initrd images are larger than 4MB (initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386 is 4317184 bytes and is the one I want to use) but the menu.lst files on my other machines (which all use grub already) don't have a ramdisk_size=16384 option anywhere. Where would I put this option anyway as the documentation is a little vague - I presume it should be after kopt eg:

kopt=ramdisk_size=16384

but that looks wrong.

I have /boot as a separate partition on this machine so I have the directory structure

/boot/boot/grub

which looks odd but seems to be right according to the instructions. Is this structure needed because grub looks directly at the partition that has /boot on it (/dev/hda1 in my case) and expects to see the /boot/grub directory hierarchy?

The instructions also say that update-grub will create /boot/boot/menu.lst in cases where /boot is a separate partition. I take it this is just a typo and they meant /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst as that is where the file was created.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I just really really don't want to screw this up.

Huge Heaps of Thanks

Graham