Re: Installing a program from source

Rhys Hardwick wrote:

Hey there,

I want to install a program from source. For example, I have downloaded the latest CVS snapshot of xmms to put my own patches onto. I know how to compile and install.

Is it ok to compile and install, and then, if another version is released under apt that I want to install, just install it over the top, like upgrading any other package. Is there something specific I should do?

Rhys
You can use Installwatch to log the changes to your system, and then undo the changes before using Apt to reinsatall Xmms.

Better, you can use Checkinstall to install from source and remove using Apt. In fact, you don't even need to remove it if you use Apt to install a newer version! See http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/checkinstall.html.en

Hth

Chris.