Re: knowing my IP address behind NAT firewall

dexter2 wrote:
Hi,
i'm connected to internet via DSL line. I have DSL modem with 4 eth
ports. DSL modem serve also as NAT firewall.
Each time i connect to internet, i have diferent IP, that my ISP assign
to me. If i want to know my IP, that i use on internet, I have to
connect to DSL modem via HTTP and read it there. Is there a unix command, that will get my internet IP? How does this
command get this IP?
It must be posible, becouse Valknut is able to get my actual internet
IP.

ddclient is able to read the address via HTML from many kinds of routers; is just fetches the page and finds the IP address with a regular expression, I guess.

I find that with my setup checking up on http://checkip.dyndns.org works better. I suspect Valknut uses a similar approach.

Roel Schroeven