Re: Installing Sarge -- Any reason to wait?

On Monday 30 May 2005 03:36 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 03:24:28PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I have two production systems that I've been working with.  Right now
> > they are on Mepis while I'm testing.  I want to change both over to
> > straight Debian for stability.  I know Sarge is due to be declared stable
> > in about a week (could that change?), but it might be easier for me to
> > install in the next day or two due to scheduling.  Is there any benefit
> > to waiting to install Sarge until after it goes stable?  If so, I'll
> > wait, but if there's no real reason, I'd rather install asap.  (And yes,
> > I'll be getting security updates.)
>
> No real reason to wait.

That's what I figured, but I've been on Linux long enough to know that when
I'm trying something I haven't done before (like installing testing and
sticking with it until it's stable), it's always best to check with specific
questions for possible gotchas.  (Yes, I know to set my sources to Sarge
instead of testing.)

> I have already switched over a couple of
> lightly loaded production servers with no issues.  The infrastructure is
> already in place and the last few kinks are getting worked out.

From what I hear, that's about what I expected.

> You may
> see the release pushed back,

Always possible.  That's why I was wondering whether I should install
according to my schedule or Debian's schedule.

> I consider that unlikely to happen again.
> Everyone wants to see this release happen ASAP.
>
> Just realize, that up until a few weeks after release you will be seeing
> a higher-than-normal number of updates.

But I should be able to count on these updates being as reliable as regular
updates to stable, shouldn't I?

> Up until the actual release,
> there will be RC bug fixes and documentation updates.  After the
> release, there will be a strong focus on getting at any lagging security
> updates.  After that, things should settle down nicely.

I'm not worried about more updates.  I expect that.  I just want to be sure
that it is already being treated like stable -- i.e. I can count on updates
not breaking anything.

Thanks!

Hal