Re: VPN server recommendation

Chavdar Videff <chavdar@mr-bricolage.bg> wrote in
[🔎] 200505301806.44788.chavdar@mr-bricolage.bg:">news:[🔎] 200505301806.44788.chavdar@mr-bricolage.bg:

> Hello List.
>
> At our site we have to establish a secure VPN to a partner site in
> order to interconnect our subnetworks. On both sides we have Linux
> routers.
>
> A fellow administrator suggested that we used OpenVPN.
> The only VPN I have heard about is Poptop.
>
> Is OpenVPN a good choice? Are there better alternatives?
>
> So far we played with gre tunnels (but no encryption).  Will it be
> enough to establish gre tunnels and try to force IPSEC through them?
>
> All hints will be aprreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Chavdar Videff

I would have to heartily recommend openvpn.  I've used it in a few
production settings here and there for everything from realty offices to
schools and used it with pre-shared static keys and full-on ssl
encryption.  Its very easy to push out to clients running Linux, the
BSDs, Windows 2000 and above.  There is a nice Windows client which will
allow one to run it as a Windows service.

We've deployed it mostly on Debian since its very easy to get it into the
distribution, written ssl certs and pre-shared keys, etc.

In my limited case of use personally, I use it to connect on the road
with both my XP and debian linux laptop through a linksys router using
pre-shared keys.  I can reach my own private network.  In a business
setting we use the vpn tunntel to run a VNC client/server setup for
secure remote administration of windows boxes across the net.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org