Re: VPN server recommendation

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:06:44 +0300
Chavdar Videff <chavdar@mr-bricolage.bg> wrote:

> Hello List.
>
> At our site we have to establish a secure VPN to a partner site in
> order to  interconnect our subnetworks. On both sides we have Linux
> routers.
>
> A fellow administrator suggested that we used OpenVPN.
> The only VPN I have heard about is Poptop.
>
> Is OpenVPN a good choice? Are there better alternatives?
>
> So far we played with gre tunnels (but no encryption).  Will it be
> enough to  establish gre tunnels and try to force IPSEC through them?

We use OpenVPN at work with good results. It allows me to do a lot of
remote admin stuff from home. They have also been able to connect
Windows clients to it with good results.

There is a little bit of a learning curve to OpenVPN, but it's fairly
easy once you learn it. And really easy compared to Cisco VPN
concentrators/Pix clients.

HTH,
Jacob