Re: Slow Firefox performance scrolling macslash.org

Rogério Brito wrote:
On May 28 2005, Marty wrote:
The difference is measurable, not subjective.

I don't even have to measure in my system to see that there's something
wrong: the difference is really drastic here. Slashdot, which you mention
as a similar-looking page, is fast, but I don't think that that's the right
comparison, because even thought the "looks" are similar, their code might
not be.

I am not familiar with web page coding.  If there is a major difference then
maybe a "web monkey" can take a look and tell us what is different.  On the
other hand, it could be something subtle like anti-aliased fonts, since the
slowdown seems to be mainly in X routines.

On the other hand, the puzzling thing is that macslash.org is quite slow
under Linux, while it is much faster in Windows, with the same versions of
Firefox (yes, the Windows version was taken from Mozilla.org and the Linux
version was taken from Debian).

That's consistent with my observations that 80% of the CPU time
is spent in X, and that the problem exists in Mozilla and Konqueror.

Perhaps there's a difference in optimizations used during compilation or,
say, the GTK 2 is really slow and macslash.org "forces" Firefox to use more
widgets than slashdot.org? I sincerely don't know, but surely this is
confusing as we both discovered.

It's some kind of bad interaction.  For me the biggest puzzle is why some
people don't see the problem at all.  I think the key to this problem is
finding out what's different in those systems that don't exhibit the problem.
I recently upgraded all my boxes to sarge, with similar configurations, so
they all exhibit the problem.  :-(

Thanks for taking the time to verify "the phenomenon", Rogério.