Slow Firefox performance scrolling macslash.org (was: Re: Slow Firefox performance on P4 1.7 GHz 1 GB system)

On May 28 2005, Marty wrote:
> The difference is measurable, not subjective.

I don't even have to measure in my system to see that there's something
wrong: the difference is really drastic here. Slashdot, which you mention
as a similar-looking page, is fast, but I don't think that that's the right
comparison, because even thought the "looks" are similar, their code might
not be.

On the other hand, the puzzling thing is that macslash.org is quite slow
under Linux, while it is much faster in Windows, with the same versions of
Firefox (yes, the Windows version was taken from Mozilla.org and the Linux
version was taken from Debian).

Perhaps there's a difference in optimizations used during compilation or,
say, the GTK 2 is really slow and macslash.org "forces" Firefox to use more
widgets than slashdot.org? I sincerely don't know, but surely this is
confusing as we both discovered.

Thanks for taking the time to verify "the phenomenon", Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/