Re: OT Required Options?

John Hasler wrote:
Martin writes:

Apparently, command line programs exist for Microsoft Windows which can
only be run successfully if at least one command line option is provided
to them.

That's true of Unix and Linux as well.

In my mind there is a distinction between options and arguments. In Windows options are flags designated with a "/" . I consider "$ ls -l" an option, not an argument. $ svn commit -m "changed such and such". "-m <string>" is an argument not an option. You might call the subcommand, "commit", an option. Lots of commands require arguments, I don't know of any that require options. No wait. how about "shutdown" on windows or linux? I guess linux has a required argument. But windows requires an option. Well, looks like the help calls them arguments... I use chkdsk on Windows regularly. The default is a report and performs no actions. So /F could be considered a required option depending on what you expect chkdsk to do.

But I would not interpret the message of this shirt to be about the command line. Windows options that are required: IE, Media Player, Windows Firewall. How about the "option" to shrink your ntfs partition? It used to be worse, windows is becomming more configurable. The shirt seems like a fair statement to me.

--
Michael Z Daryabeygi