Re: OT Required Options?

Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> writes:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:41:35 -0400
> "Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:
>
>> For my birthday my daughter gave me a tee shirt with the following
>> message printed on it:
>>
>>             Only in the World
>>                of Microsoft
>>                are Options
>>                 Required
>>
>>                 Go Linux!
>>
>> I don't want to wear it until I can explain it and I don't know what
>> options Mircosoft requires.
>
> I'm sure it could mean different things to different people. But my
> first thought would be that Windows is almost useless unless you buy
> their "optional" office software. [...]
> /me sits back and waits for someone else to show how they interpreted
> it totally different :-)

While I haven't used any Microsoft product for more than 10 years, some
googling suggested a very different meaning of the term "options" to me.
Apparently, command line programs exist for Microsoft Windows which can
only be run successfully if at least one command line option is provided
to them. Such command line options are therefore not really optional,
but required.

Martin