Re: make-dpkg w/ 2.6.11.10 & UML+SKAS+SELinux (no modules)

(Reply at bottom)

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Ionut Georgescu wrote:

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:41:04PM -0500, Matthew J. Harmon wrote:
> First time posting, long time follower :)
>
> Running into a very odd error with make-dpkg.  Honestly, I usually compile
> manually, however I'm following a wonderfully detailed HOWTO[0] for
> creating a SELinux enabled UML system and would like to keep to the
> examples.
>
> In any case, I have no modules enabled within this kernel configuration,
> all steps in the how-to have been followed, and I'm getting this error
> spit out:
>
> mjh@beta:/usr/local/src/kernel/uml-2.6.11.10$ time make-kpkg --arch=um
> --rootcmd=fakeroot kernel_image
> fakeroot /usr/bin/make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules real_stamp_image
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/kernel/uml-2.6.11.10'
> [snip]
> mv /usr/local/src/kernel/uml-2.6.11.10/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/*
> debian/tmp-image/usr/lib/uml/modules/ -v
> mv: cannot stat
> `/usr/local/src/kernel/uml-2.6.11.10/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/*': No
> such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [real_stamp_image] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/kernel/uml-2.6.11.10'
> make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 2
>
> The oddity here, is that no - the directory does not exist, however it
> shouldn't exist as I have NO MODULES configured, I've gone through the
> .config I saved and verified there are no =m in the darn thing.
>
> Most of the searches I've done for this error don't seem to be resolved,
> most just recommend not compiling the kernel "the debian way", but I'm
> trying to stay pure here since this is the guest kernel that will be
> pushed across many UMLs.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance!
>

> -Matthew
>
> 0.
> Annotated HOWTO for creating SELinux enabled UML system
> http://www.golden-gryphon.com/software/security/selinux-uml.xhtml

This is make-kpkg which is trying to install the modules, not the
kernel build system. And as you have no modules, it has nothing to
install.

-- Thank you for that confirmation.

Compile some little tiny thing as a module to please it or just hack
with make-kpkg (sorry, no clue on that yet. I glanced over the manpage,
but I didn't find anything on the topic).

--- I'm trying to keep all modules out of this guest kernel, so I'll take
a closer look at make-kpkg and see if I can find something.  Any tips are
appreciated.

Good luck,
Ionut

Thanks Ionut.