Re: Leafnode timing out on news server that works with a news client.

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:21:04AM +0100 or thereabouts, Adam Funk wrote:

> I think I've identified the problem -- but not how to fix it.  The last fetchnews
> cron job started at 11:08 and /var/log/syslog contains the stuff below.
>
> I think the problem might be that so many articles in alt.test fail during the
> "considering" stage that the external news server drops the connection.  Is this
> plausible?   I'll test this theory by elimination the "minlines = 2" requirement,
> but then my spool will fill up with crap from alt.test.

Have you tried using the default config settings (with the appropriate remote
server l/pwd of course) ?

> Is there another way to fix the problem?

Dunno. Might want to ask on the leafnode e-mail list. You're rapidly getting
beyond my level of expertise. I don't use anything beyond the default settings
in my config file.

It's my understanding that Leafnode doesn't fetch newsgroups that one doesn't
read -- so the concern of  alt.test filling up your spool is perhaps misguided
-- at least after the initial fetch. ;)

> Is there a way to get fetchnode to stop bothering with alt.test (other than
> waiting for lack of use to catch up with it)?

Adding it to the filter didn't work ?

--
Steve A.
Friday May 27 2005 08:30:02 EDT