Leafnode timing out on news server that works with a news client.

I recently installed leafnode.  Every hour when it runs I get the following
e-mail:

Subject: Cron <news@garcia> if [ -x /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news ];
then /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news; fi

Server disconnection or timeout before article could be retrieved #1
Warning: aborting fetch from text.news.blueyonder.co.uk due to previous
condition.

But that news server works fine almost all the time when I connect directly
to it with KNode.  I've set "timeout = 300" in /etc/news/leafnode/config
and am still getting the errors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam