Re: alsa problem

No, if that is an older machine what he has, it is better he sticks with
2.4. I already had this experience and the difference is amazing! With
2.6.1 it took ages to start firefox, with 2.4 I could run gnome and gimp
end epiphany alltogether.

It was Toshiba notebook with 500MHz and 64MB of RAM.

Now back to the thread: what is the output of lsmod after installing the
new kernel ? It would be nice if you also attached a dmesg.

Ionut